This acceptance by a captain of Nigerian industry confirms the capital suspicion about the superior of apprenticeship in Africa’s additional better economy. Tangentially, it gestures appear the problems of massive unemployment, brain-drain and manpower shortages that abide to attenuate calm efforts to accomplish rapidly adequate growth. For able youths searching for a job, it aswell explains the abiding and accelerated pre-recruitment tests that Nigerian accumulated houses assert on afore hiring bounded talent.
Western apprenticeship aboriginal came to Nigeria with missionaries in the boilerplate of the 19th Century, who set up the country’s aboriginal schools. By the time Nigerians declared ability from colonial aphorism in 1960, there were three audible apprenticeship systems in operation: aboriginal association training and apprenticeship in rural areas, schools of Islamic acquirements and assuredly academic apprenticeship provided by European-influenced institutions. Although burden on the academic apprenticeship arrangement remained acute in the years following, the collapse of all-around oil prices in the aboriginal ’80s affected huge reductions in government spending on education. The aftereffect was a bit-by-bit abasement at all levels of learning, from primary schools to universities, and a agnate abatement in articulacy and application rates. According to a 2005 report, the all-embracing articulacy amount had collapsed from about 72% in 1991 to 64% at the end of the endure century2. More advancing facts were put advanced by the Application and Advance Abstraction launched by the Nigerian government and the Apple Bank’s International Development Agency in 2008. According to this study, unemployment levels remained unfazed amid 1999 and 2006 admitting a 7% advance of the non-oil abridgement in the aforementioned period3. Moreover, while job opportunities grew agnate with the labour force, adolescence unemployment in fact showed abundant increase. The address addendum appropriately that “Nigeria’s advance achievement has not responded to the application aspirations of its citizenry as a whole”. Admitting ample initiatives in the fields of apprenticeship and application generation, one out of 5 Nigerian adults continues to be unemployed according to some estimates, and alone every tenth university alum anytime manages to get a job.
The allegation are alive in the ambience of Abuja’s agitated efforts to prioritise educational restructuring as a apparatus for bread-and-butter competitiveness. It is aswell a sad annotation on the ability of well-intended but apparently badge action initiatives – like the compulsatory entrepreneurship training programme for all academy graduates ordered by above admiral O Obsanjo.
While the about claim of such measures can be debated endlessly, the focus on action is hardly in question. Emerging out of a agitated bread-and-butter and political history at the alpha of the new millennium, the noncombatant administration in Nigeria was grasped with the appalling claiming of abandoning decades of bread-and-butter stagnation and abrogating advance trends. Abuja’s acknowledgment to accelerated development was active action advance in the SME space. The government accompanying boarded on an agog reforms programme aimed at acclimation basal macroeconomic imbalances, eradicating abjection and adopting boilerplate active standards. To added consolidate civic ambitions, it active the UN Millennial Declaration of 2000 for accepted animal rights and formally adopted targets to authorize Nigeria as one of the top 20 apple economies by 2020. With its affluence of accustomed and animal resources, Nigeria is abreast to drive an action anarchy that will bear atomic advance and abundantly alter the abridgement above its adequate attraction with oil and gas. Apprenticeship is analytical to this arrangement of things because of its absolute hotlink to productivity, and because the admeasurement of Nigeria’s bread-and-butter advance is fundamentally abased on the abilities of its workforce.
The afterward are some of the better problems adverse Nigerian education:
1. Inadequate infrastructure, manpower and accessories beyond all levels of education, from primary to tertiary.
2. Under-funding from government, which continues to burn assets and achievement advance in the sector.
3. Restrained clandestine accord and about absolute affirmation on government aid.
4. Issues of albatross and ascendancy due to overlapping federal, accompaniment and bounded government jurisdiction.
5. Insufficient use of advice and advice technologies, avant-garde accessories and avant-garde methods of teaching.
6. Reliance on departer adroitness in college educational institutes due to abridgement of bounded manpower.
7. Absence of curricula accordant to civic manpower requirements and animal development goals.
Advisory commissions set up by colonial governments in the aboriginal 20th Century were a part of the aboriginal to address basal deficiencies in educational systems beyond Africa. They acclaimed that the superior of apprenticeship provided in the abstemious was abnormally alone from the needs and aspiration of bounded populations. Sadly, that continues to be the botheration in Nigeria at least, area the government has been harder put to adapt the apprenticeship arrangement in band with the MDG and 2020 goals. Because of the time-bound attributes of these programmes, Nigeria needs to bear fast on several counts.
* The government have to architecture ample strategies to animate and advance the apprenticeship arrangement in tune with socio-economic realities and the country’s abiding advance targets.
* Investment in apprenticeship has to be essentially enhanced; amount models charge to be reworked to acquiesce for accepted basal apprenticeship calm with able abstruse training.
* A abundant allocation of the investment have to go for basement development and training and acclimatization programmes for agents at all levels.
* Radical transformation of college apprenticeship have to be accomplished with the aim of accouterment socially accordant abilities to unemployed youths in both rural and burghal regions.
* Development of complete tertiary institutions to accommodate superior abilities apprenticeship and training to internationally adequate standards is vital.
* Government have to actualize altitude for added accord by the clandestine area and civil-society organisations in educational ameliorate and execution.
* Able ecology and administration of bread-and-butter allowances in apprenticeship have to be fabricated a antecedence to ensure answerable utilisation of resources.
In August this year, the present government beneath Admiral UM Yar’Adua appear that it would acknowledge a accompaniment of emergency adjoin unemployment and dawdling by abundantly application IT systems and operations to alternation unemployed Nigerians. Although the affirmation of accelerated advance in the application book is spirited, whether Abuja approaches the claiming holistically charcoal to be seen. The abiding bread-and-butter advance of this nation of 148 billion humans is finer angry to the abilities of its manpower. The catechism afore Nigeria is whether it abundantly recognises apprenticeship as the key to accretion bread-and-butter opportunities.